Monday, February 21, 2011

The Hands of Karsh
























I work a lot with the great photographer Mandy Pieper (www.mandypieper.nl) and while I'm interviewing she's obsessively observing the people I talk with. Afterwards, when she's making the pictures, I do the same and also notice the eye of a good photographer.
One of the things I learned from her is the importance of the hands. Maybe it's a well known principle in photography, but when you notice it, you see how truthful it is. A portrait with hands is different from a portrait without. Last week I saw another proof of it: the photo's from photographer Yousuf Karsh. In the marvellous documentary Fotograaf Yousuf Karsh schrijft geschiedenis, Dutch for Photographer Karsh writes history I saw the importance of the hands again. What a first-rate photographer he is.
(If you want to see the documentary, here it is in English and Dutch: http://www.nps.nl/page/programma/238/het-uur-van-de-wolf/aflevering/detail/11163495/fotograaf-yousuf-karsh-schrijft-geschiedenis)

No comments:

Post a Comment